Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Balboa at Shangri-La's East Wing

Aside from December, June and September are the busiest months for us because birthdays of our immediate families all fall under these months.  We started the June festivities with a birthday dinner for my dad at Balboa in Shangri-La's east wing.
those books are real!  love the floor tiles!

We ordered 2 pizzas, 2 pastas, a whole chicken and the Osso Bucco Milanese which was one of my favorites from this meal.  It was very tender and flavorful.  I loved the savory sauce.  If you're a heavy rice eater, you might want to get an extra serving of rice.  

Osso Bucco Milanese w/ Gremolata and Saffron Risotto P428
The family liked the Italian Sausage Pesto but I didn't enjoy how the sausages smelled and tasted.  Maybe the green color influenced my perception as well.    
Italian Sausage Pesto Famiglia P499

The Seafood and Fresh Lemon Tagliatelle brought sweet memories to my mom.  She recalls how their cousin's cook prepared great tasting Tagliatelle when they were still neighbors years ago.  The seafood was fresh and the dish was seasoned just right.  I'm no pasta expert but the noodles were like fettuccini.   
Seafood and Fresh Lemon Tagliatelle in Olive Oil Famiglia P478
Although the servers recommended the Roasted Chicken with Garlic and Mushrooms, we opted for the Baked Chicken with Chorizo.  It turned out too salty and peppery for my tastebuds.  We went for the whole chicken but they served it on 2 platters which was pretty thoughtful of them.  I know how challenging it is to carve a whole chicken when I bake at home.
Baked Chicken w/ Chorizo Whole P698

We wiped out the pizzas.  Even though the crusts weren't too thin, they had a crunch to them.  We had the Spinach Prosciutto Truffle which was pretty good.
Spinach Prosciutto Truffle P689/16 inch pizza

The Four Cheese Pizza was my other favorite from this meal.  I just love the simplicity and ooey gooey feel of cheese pizza.
Four Cheese P689/16 inch pizza
asiago, provolone, parmigiano and mozzarella

Hubby and I were stuck in horrendous traffic so the family ordered for us.  If I were there earlier, I would have sneaked in an order of the Bacon Steak and requested for the Spinach Artichoke appetizer.

I would probably go back to Balboa on a special occasion for the Osso Bucco Milanese and Four Cheese Pizza plus we weren't able to try their Steaks, Burgers, Seafood and All Day Breakfast fare.

On a side note, their coffee machine was out of order but they asked us if we wanted coffee from Corazon which was just across.  It turns out they are sister restaurants.  Oh and I love the huge white serving platters and the pretty cover page of the menu.




--------------------
Balboa - 4th Level East Wing Shangri-La Plaza Mall, Shaw Blvd. cor. EDSA, Mandaluyong City

*all food and beverages are subject to 10% service charge

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...