Thursday, August 9, 2012

Manaoag and Matutina's

Balikbayan aunts were in Manila and were about to head back to the States so we spent the day in Bulacan eating, swimming and catching up.  A one day affair turned into an impromptu overnighter and an unplanned road trip down north.  Our main goal was to visit the Shrine of Our Lady of the Rosary of Manaoag in Pangasinan and then just play it by ear.

After praying and a few photo opps insisde the main church, we made our way to the Veneration area where we lined up so we could pray and touch the Lady of Manaoag (felt like I was feeling up the carpet or part of the dress instead of the statue).  Although I've been to Manaoag about a handful of times, this was the first time I saw this area.  Petitions/letters could also be dropped in the slot near the statue.  While in line, the ushers reminded us to keep it short, if you want to pray longer, you can do it in the pews in that same room.

We proceeded to the candle lighting area afterwards where you can pray some more and either buy the long white candles or the cute floating ones which you leave in the tear drop shaped water areas.  We spent a couple more minutes posing in front of this magnificent sight.

It was almost 1pm when we finished up so we decided to have lunch before heading to Bataan.  We drove back to the main highway (the same one that leads up to Baguio) and beelined for Matutina's in Pangasinan.  I enjoyed my previous visit with hubby on one of our trips to La Union/Baguio so I suggested this place to them.

The thing is I totally forgot what we ordered years ago.  I just remembered that the food was yummy.  This time around, we had a seafood and vegetable spread.

It was my first time to encounter the Sinigang na Malaga which was so good.  The sourness of the broth was just right and a far cry from the usual sinigang mixes that I use at home.  My titas said it tasted like real kamias or sampaloc were used to prepare this dish.  The fish was fresh but I was too lazy to eat a lot of it since it wasn't boneless.

The Buttered Crab was a bit on the sweet side.  We saw the live crab kicking and clawing before it was brought to the kitchen.  

The Crispy Hipon was ok.

The Inihaw na Bangus wasn't boneless either (I forgot to ask the waiter beforehand) so I was picking on my food making sure that there were no bones.  I had a traumatic experience a few years back so I prefer boneless fish.

The Steamed Kangkong with Bagoong was fine...

but I preferred the Tortang Talong (with Ketchup of course)

My titas loved their Fresh Buko Juice.

After a hearty meal and a few pictures with Charlie Chaplin we piled into the car and headed to Bataan but ended up in Subic (which I shall write about in my next post).

-------------------
Shrine of Our Lady of the Rosary of Manaoag, Manaoag, Pangasinan
Matutina's Seafoods ANNEX 3, Mac Arthur Highway, Nancayasan, Urdaneta City, Pangasinan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...