Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Veggies with Crispy Pork

Here's a not so healthy vegetable dish that uses simple ingredients.


What I used

  • pork fat  with skin, cut into small cubes
  • rock salt
  • water
  • vegetable oil
  • 1 carrot, peeled and cut into sticks
  • 1 chayote, peeled and cut into sticks
  • string beans, trimmed and cut into serving pieces
  • 2 pcs knorr pork cubes
  • 1 pack of yellow cab's crushed chili pepper


What I did

  • boiled the pork fat in water with rock salt.  this took me a good 30 minutes or so
  • fried in vegetable oil once all the water evaporated.  i kept a lid on this as it was popping like crazy (ang lakas ng talsik!).  stirred several times.
  • drained on paper towels once golden brown (first time I tried this, I burned most of them.  I was too scared to lift the lid because of all that popping.)
  • removed some of the oil from the pan, left enough to stir fry the chayotes and carrots with the crushed chili pepper and pork cubes.
  • once the vegetables were fork tender, added the beans
  • poured in a few spoonfuls of water and let it simmer
  • transferred the veggies to a serving dish and topped it with the crispy pork fat (the last time I cooked this, I mixed in the crispy pork and it became soggy right away)


I don't usually eat pork fat and skin but this was just so irresistably crunchy and salty. Think chicharon or crispy sisig.  Deadly!  But don't worry, I only prepare it this way when I trim fat from pork cubes for sinigang, nilaga, adobo etc.  We don't buy as much fatty pork anymore.  I picked up this crunchy pork trick from my mother in law.  The carrots and chayotes absorbed the seasoning well.  The crushed chili peppers added a little kick.  This was paired with spicy galunggong which were fried to a crisp.  Imagine how much rice I consumed because of all that salt and spice!        

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...